Thursday 5 February 2009

Half a century has gone!!

My 50th birthday is knocking at my door... it's so funny thinking that I am already here! When I was a mid teenager, I used to think that I wanted to die at 40, because for me, living the typical "teen" days, being 40 was "very old" and I didn't want to be old. Then, when I least expected, I was preparing the party for my 40th birthday. Oops, I still had loads to do and to see, I wasn't ready to die yet, LOL!

Yesterday I went out to get a few things for both parties. I will be having my Brazilian friends on one day and my English speaking friends on another day and while I was out yesterday, I had the thought "you only turn 50 once, so do it well". Then, coming back home I had to laugh at myself... you only turn whatever age once in your lifetime. Nobody turns 37 twice or 43 twice for that matter... all ages only come once in your lifetime and that is why we must enjoy and find fun the whole time.

However, turning 50 became a benchmark. This figure represents half century, means menopause, means maturity should be full on active, means the world respects you and at the same time, expects you to be more sensible, means gravity is stronger, means grey hair, means possibibly more free time... ai ai ai ui ui ui not sure I can handle all that, LOL!

Anyway, it's time to celebrate those 50 years that have all the traditional ups and downs of a life well and fully lived. Amen to that and I take this opportunity to thank God to have brought me all the way here and for my mother who gave me my first ever "face cream kit" back when I was 20. I thoroughly love being alive.

2 comments:

  1. ...and it shows. anyone passing you on the street, seeing you in a room, shaking your hand, or chatting to you KNOWS that you have a love of life. your joy, enthusiasm and eagerness to experience the unknown show that. people remember you. for fifty years you have been making yourself utterly and completly memorable, simply by being you.
    GORGEOUSNESS!

    xo tess
    http://tesspeak.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perfectly said and completely true, Tess! Odila, you do light up a room, even from across the world! If your only your inner light and energy could be bottled and shared. . . Can I have the name of that face cream? And my grey hair hit at 40. Must be those Brazilian genes.

    ReplyDelete