Friday 6 March 2009

Made in the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong




So it's a real fact, life really does go around and around and when we least expect, voila, the cycle has closed and a new one starts again.

Back in 1995, I was sent by my bosses to Washington DC to do some research in the Library of Congress. I was to stay there for some 4 months, which meant 2 in the fall and 2 in the winter. Coming from Rio, I knew I didn't have enough serious winter clothes for a four month stay. All I had were winter holiday clothes, not living in the winter clothes. But, that was not a problem, because once in DC, I could buy myself the necessary pieces, and obviously the unnecessary too.

As planned, I went to several shopping sprees while in DC and in one of them, I got this skirt which I so totally loved and were it countless times. As the years rolled by, quite a few kilos were added to my Darling body and the skirt became unwearable. However, because I so loved it, I did not have the heart to give it away and have always carried it with me in all my moves, despite the growing differences between her size and my body size.

With the Angolan move becoming eminent, which means living in latitude 17º S, I decided to give a serious clean up in my winter clothes and there she was... my historical skirt... I couldn't give it away... we have so many stories together, so many nights out... it couldn't just go to any donation pile and get lost in the world... it had to stay with me forever and ever!! I then had the idea of checking the label for size, as it may be could fit Alice. Going to Alice would be perfectly acceptable, because it means it is still in the family.

Much to my surprise and depression too, I found out that my dear dear skirt had been made in the "British Crown Colony of Hong Kong" back in the days when living in Hong Kong was not in any of life's horizons and.... I also found out that it's size is 7/8. Ouch, that was painful. I was once size 7/8, LOL!!!

2 comments:

  1. i am a size 7 ... x 2!!!

    listen bebe, you're looking pretty trim these days. if you're not a size seven, you're not far from it.

    xo tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tess - you look amazing!! The skirt represents the circle of life in several different ways! BTW I am pretty sure I had that same skirt -from the same store - slightly different fabric - around the same vintage - similiar size - but no emotional attachment, given away LONG AGO as my bootie grew. I think mine was solid black.

    ReplyDelete