Tuesday 22 June 2010

Dreams, dreams, dreams... and here I'm in Mexico City!

Back in the 70's when my time to apply for university came up, I only applied for History. I was pretty sure that History was my choice. I wanted to study in depth the Pre Colombian History and although I knew that I was going to have only 1 semester of Pre Colombian history in my curriculum, I was not worried, because I had a plan. The plan was to finish under-grad in Brazil and follow tout suite to Mexico City for a post graduation in Pre Colombian History. Mexico, Guatemala and Peru are Countries where one finds loads about this topic. So Mexico it would be!!

Buuutttt love came into my life and my post grad plans in Mexico City flew off the window and since then, Mexico City has remained on the very top of my DREAMS' list. For two times in the past, I almost came here, but in both times some very last minute problems stopped me from getting into the plane.

God did open several other doors for me which I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them, including new paths in my field, History. Absolutely no regrets at all!

But now that I'm living near Mexico, speaking the language (or should I say, "thinking I speak the language") and making sure to plan and execute the trip in less than three weeks (to avoid any last minute negative surprises), here I am in Mexico City ready to spend hours and hours at the Museo de Antropologia, the Teotihuacan Pyramids and surroundings, the neighboring city of Puebla and then just sip the city, just breath what has been on hold for all these decades...

Dreams... some people say it in a different way, like:
- I really would like to do ABC before I die, or
- I would love to accomplish XYZ before I die, or
- Although I've never done DEF, I have this feeling that I must do it before I die, or
- I have a passion for this and that and I have decided that I want to do it before I go from this earth...

The list with different wordings meaning the same thing goes on forever and dreams come in all sorts of sizes and costs, how great this details is, hey? ... my dream started happening right before my eyes when earlier today, the captain announced we were landing in Mexico City. Needless to say that my eyes were completely soaked in tears and I was not able to see the city properly from above having on purpose chosen a window seat.... silly me!!

Anyway, I call it DREAM and you? How are you managing yours?

1 comment:

  1. Have a fabulous time living out your big dream!! Love you. Alice xx

    ReplyDelete