Monday 31 May 2010

Being a Brazilian in Panama

Ha ha ha... things that one doesn't understand why, but just enjoys the result.

Joel and I are still loving being in Panama, enjoying thoroughly the Latin atmosphere, the weather, the rhythm of life, the general kindness around and all the rest... However, one thing that we just don't get it, that we just don't understand where it comes from, that just amazes us to a surprising point: the selfishness of the Panamanians drivers.

Pedestrian Panamanians are as sweet as one can be, but as drivers they have this feeling of having to get there (wherever "there" is) first, the "me first" attitude. I have the impression that when they get hold of their driving wheels, a huge cloud of unkindness comes upon them... I don't know... The use of blinkers is unknown to them so when you use it, it doesn't really matter, because they don't know what you mean. The use of a hand to thank you for giving way is so completely not used. This is a pain, we haven't got used to it yet and are trying to do a bit of "act locally and change globally" kind of thing... let's see til when.

But anyway, as most of you probably know, the football world cup is about to start, so of course, Brazilian hearts are getting ready for yet again, one more batch of fast beating and happy (or not) suffering. To get in a bit of a mood, I got a Brazilian flag, one of those that attach to your car window and have been going around the city with my flag waving high and you know what? I have received so many more smiles and road kindness than I ever experienced here in Panama... LOL!

The other day, I had a very minor minor accident in a parking lot. It was more a kiss than an accident. The guy was leaving his parking space and didn't see me and went ahead and hit the side of my car. So we both had to call our insurances, the police etc etc etc. When the other driver's insurance person arrived on the scene, he opened a bit fat smile to me and asked: "are you Brazilian"? I said yes and he said that he was a big fan of Brazil and as Panama is not sending a football team to the world cup, he was fully supporting the Brazilian team for the world cup. So cute!

I haven't convinced Joel yet, but my plan is to add to the car 1 flag per game we win. Hope my car becomes a mobile mast, ha ha ha.

So here is to our flag and what it means to be Brazilian! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Agora sou que que posso te seguir. Legal tuas historias do Panama. Acho que tambem da um livro bem divertido. Beijos!

    ReplyDelete