Monday 15 February 2010

It's tomorrow, am I ironing her white shirt? ?


Alice's big day is tomorrow. We are all in Bristol, UK, staying with Alice and David. Just wonderful. It has been quite sometime since the 5 of us last met, something like 3 years or so... I'm loving it. This time we have an addition, Misty, their dog.

We came to the UK to be at Alice's PhD's graduation that is happening tomorrow and this time, I was smart enough to ask her in advance:
- do you have anything to be ironed for tomorrow?
- yes, sure, a white shirt to be worn under the robe. Would you like to do it for me?

I had to laugh... Alice did not remember the incident that happened back in July 2005, when she graduated from her Biochemistry undergrad course. In a way, I am happy she did not have that engraved in her mind, as it was, most probably, one of my most embarrassing "motherhood" oments. The story goes like this.

It was July 2005 in the UK. The sky was beautifully pure blue, the temperature was a delicious summery thing, breezes were erratic and comfortable, friends from other areas of the UK and Belgium had come over to Bristol to be with us, mom and dad were here, we had gone picnicking by the bridge, laughs, stories, relief from one more step accomplished and so on. We were all staying at Alice's place, as her house mates were away enjoying their summer holidays. The atmosphere was great and all seemed to be running smooth when ... Alice came down running from the upstairs part of the house, saying in a loud voice;
- mom, mom, can you please iron my shirt? I totally forgot I had to wear a white shirt under my robe.... please please...

I, who was beginning my make up, came out of the room as I heard her words and saw this beautiful girl rushing down the stairs holding a white shirt on one hand and an iron the other. All I could think was:
- oh my Lord, help me here... I have no idea how to do this ironing or any other ironing for that matter... but in my mind there was no room for a "no" type of reply.

So, trying to be a wonderful mother, I said a quick:
- sure, give it to me, but... how long do I have?

However... Alice saw this desperate look in my face and without a snap, she said:
- mom, just follow the dots like David taught me.
and I thought:
- what dots is she going on about? What could she mean by "dots"? What is she talking about?

Anyway, 40 minutes later, I was able to return her an ironed white shirt and off she went, rushing out through the door of her house, walking towards the centennial building (is anything in this Country younger than 100 years of age?) where the ceremony was to take place in a couple of hours.

So, loads of water has ran under my bridge since that story and here we are, back in Bristol for her second graduation. This time I am better prepared and ready to iron her white shirt!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS STORY. LOVE IT.
    for that matter, love you very much too!!!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete