Friday 15 January 2010

Cooking together through the Meridians

I’ve never been, I mean, NEVER been into cooking, but always appreciated good food.

I’ve been lucky enough to have had a helper since my day 1 on this Earth, thus never really had the need to go into the kitchen to cook stuff.

However, because of my “sweet tooth” taste, I have accumulated quite a few dessert recipes along my life, mostly in Portuguese. While living in Brazil, that was never a problem, because I would give it to the helper and she was able to follow it. But… this scenario changed when Joel and I moved to South Africa… the helper could only read English or Zulu… so… that meant I had to go into the kitchen for deserts, which was ok. I was cooking things I liked and it wasn’t the whole time. Carlota (oh gosh, have been missing her so much!!) and later Siggy, would always be right there, on the way, by my feet just hoping something would fall… so adorable they were!

However, as we learned in physics, every action calls for a reaction, in this case, a consequence - sending the girls off to college with very little knowledge of cooking (they both did a “basic college cooking” course at the end of their high school). I did send them off with some other skills (or so I hope, LOL!) but surely not cooking skills.

Well, this is now all history! At the end of last year, Alice decided to change this scenario and… and … went out and got two copies of the same recipe book. One copy she gave herself and the other one she gave it to me. I LOVED the idea!!

Her suggestion is that we cook together, the same recipes, in spite the fact we live in different countries. Every time one of us cooks one of its recipe, we’ll exchange comments about it, like on how it came out, on anything we could add or whatever… I’m in awe with her plan! We'll try to cook at least one recipe a week.

So, in order to have a triumphant entry into this new hobby, while in the States now over Christmas, we went into a “Williams - Sonoma” and I got myself a gorgeous bright yellow (to match this colorful Panama) apron.

My mother heard about this plan and is sending us some of her newest recipes… just great!

Where is the diet? Anyone said diet? … no worries, Alice’s book is all on low fat cooking!!! Bon appetite and good luck to Joel’s stomach, my test pilot.

3 comments:

  1. I liked that!!! I want to participate!! LOL. Please send me the week recipe and I will do it here in SP, too, so we can see how it goes in UK, in Panama and in BR!!!!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a brilliant idea , clever Alice.........I love the sunny yellow apron, although those gloves look a little scary- you did say you were about to "cook" didn't you?
    Can't wait to hear about the kitchen trials and triumphs, I am sure there will be many funny/ yummy stories to follow
    Lots of love, K
    PS maybe you will need to reciprocate and send Alice a duplicate copy of an Indian cookbook after February?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCH GORGEOUSNESS!!!

    and of course, you could have gone into walmart for the apron...but only williams sonoma for you, baby! life is beautiful!

    can't wait to hear what you cook up, odila, or should i say nigella!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete