Thursday 31 December 2009

Janis Joplin, Bobby Magee and us

After a whole lot of the much needed "nothing mode" in Houston, Joel and I got the car and headed East to New Orleans. It's a 5:30 hour drive on an absolute straight line. It's kind of a boring drive, as the view is dull and due to the winter, all trees are naked.

The radio was on and all the sudden,... breaking that rather monotonous drive, Janis Joplin strikes in singing "Me and Bobby Magee"... such perfect timing... we were also driving down to New Orleans.

All I had in that moment was time in my hands, so I asked Joel if it would be ok to turn the volume up really high (to which he cutely agreed so) and off I went on a time travel, back to the 70's. After the decibels' level in the car were back to normal, I carried on my private little journey trying to agree, disagree, add a bit more or whatever to one of the sentences of the song: "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose".

My life now, is clearly at a whole different stage than it was when I first heard the song back then and it was cool comparing my freedom parameters than to the current ones.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this last paragraph. what an interesting thought pattern and comparison that must have been!
    xo tess

    ReplyDelete