Friday 3 July 2009

Two months later...

'Here we're... Joel and I, sitting in the lounge at the airport in Luanda, heading to Panama City! My heart... yes, my heart, I surely know I have one... worked hard today and it's now 8:35 PM and the day is almost over, which is good.

Today was a day of mixed feelings and a couple of tears. Of course, I'm completely happy to be moving to Panama City, really happy, I mean VERY happy. At the same time, I have this "lump" in my throat about leaving Angola! My tears were shed for them, for this people who love their country dearly, who are so proud of it... but wow, what a very difficult time a foreigner can have here. Wow, I repeat, life here is very difficult.

During these two months, I had quite a few touching moments, but 3 of them were stronger than others. The other day, Junior, the driver, was talking to me about his old Angola, the one before the war and all of a sudden, he turns his head back and tells me "oh Senhora Odila, this place was beautiful before the war" and it was like a 1000W bulb was being lit. How proud he was of his place that has been completely devastated during the war. Indeed, this very confused life one has here in Luanda, is surely the very best they can offer at the moment, it clearly can not be any better, when you take all elements into consideration.

Some Angolans are very aware life here is far, far away from ideal... I remember when I went to the Agriculture Ministry to have a document for Carlota's departure issued. When I got there, I was welcomed by this big African lady, wearing her vibrant outfit and pointing me to the right person for me to talk to, Senhora Marina. I then sat in front of Senhora Marina and calmly explain what I was needing. She listened carefully all I had to say and with a gentle smile on her face, she said: "You know you have a problem in your left eye, don't you? What is it, stress from Angola?" Oh my Lord, please help me here was all I could think. Yes, of course it was stress from this life in Luanda, but how could I tell it to her? She was being so sweet... how could I tell her so? I decided to smile back at her, hold both her hands that were laying on the table and said: "no, not at all, I have only met sweet and kind people over here, like you"... and on I went talking about Carlota's paper.

Today, Joel, Carlota and I were starting our pre-check-in when the local official vet came along to check her papers. He then asked: "going for good" and Joel replied: "yes yes" and he continued: "had enough of Angola?" Difficult moments these were... there is no need to hurt these people they have been hurt enough, but on the other hand, yes it's a relief to be leaving this place. God bless them!!

We also had the chance to meet some people who have already become part of the big Braga family. From day one, when we had the chaotic arrival, they have made sure we had a family in Luanda for all times. Again, a big and warm thank you to you who made us feel like old time friends!

Panama here we come, with a whole lot of enthusiasm to be moving there and as for me, COMPLETELY excited to be near, next door to my college days goal, post graduation in Pre-Colombian History!

An immense thank you goes to mom, dad and Mrs. Braga, Alice and David, Darling girl friends spread all over the world and gorgeous HK friends for being there for us throughout these 2 months. You were perfect and seriously kept us moving and breathing! Love and hugs to you.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Odila. You have inspired me with your words and how you have continued to breathe your wonderful, unique spirit and life into even the most difficult situations. While what is written for all to see can never really encapsulate what is really going on in your heart, you have still embraced this adventure in a way that many of us aspire to. I just wish I could hug you - twice!! Once for being so brave and inspiring and again to celebrate your excitement for the next great adventure! Love you much. Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big sigh of relief for you my dear friend! Praying for easier more relaxed days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a broken old world, but a beautiful one.

    one of your most poignant posts ever.

    xo tess

    ReplyDelete