Wednesday 8 July 2009

We had a "shaking" welcome to Panama City

The three of us arrived here at the serviced flat we are temporarily renting, late on Saturday night and we were really exhausted. Our plan was to get in, take a shower and just melt in bed until late hours of Sunday morning and so it was. The rest of the Sunday, was for unpacking and a lot of "nothing". We really needed a "nothing" type of day, before we went full gear on "getting a life in Panama started".

So, after a good "nothing day", we went to bed at about 10 something PM, got cozy in bed, turned on the TV for some more nothing and then I started feeling the bed shaking quite a lot. I immediately thought it could be some trembling from heavy trucks that could be passing on the street, like it was in Luanda. However, immediately after that thought, I realised I was no longer in Luanda and that we were on the 15th floor, so... not possible to feel any heavy trucks.

At this point, I noticed the room's chandelier was dangling from right to left, as if a monkey was going from a branch of a tree to the next one ... oh my Lord, we were living an earthquake!!

Next morning I saw in the news that it had been a small one, a 5.9 in the Richter scale... I honestly have no desire at all to be in any other earthquake in my life, specially if it's stronger than that! What a weird sensation!

That is what I call a "shaking welcome"!

5 comments:

  1. did carlota react to it? did joel?

    we're heading off saturday, so if my commenting is sporadic, it isn't because i no longer care, it's because i don't have computer access.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two of you sure are going through some interesting times!!! Mr. A

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in serious need of calmness in your life. I am stressed out just reading your blog. My prayers for you all that life in Panama is full of blessings and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Odila, definitivamente vocês são personagem de livro ou filme...Tem coisas que só acontecem com os Bragas!!! Sejam muito bem vindos ao Panamá. Que vocês sejam muito felizes no tempo em que estiverem aí! E se preparem para nos receber, hehehe, saudade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or was that the earth shaking after being cozy in bed? ;-)

    ReplyDelete