Friday 31 July 2009

Traffic in Panama City

Traffic here is "interesting" and I am very glad Joel and I had our under grad studies in driving taken in Rio with a post graduation in Italy... we are then good to go, LOL!!

The Panamanians do have an extra love for their horns and according to my taste, they blow it slightly too much. They are so expert in doing it, that they manage to blow it mili-seconds prior to the light turning green, can you believe it?

They have buses going up and down everywhere, that although not for everyone, it's marvelous because it allows us, car drivers, a more "flowy" street, with less cars on. The buses here are the cutest thing ever, really typical of Central America and may be North of South America too. Joel and I have the impression they are all bought in the US from an "old school bus dealer", if there is such a thing, and then these old school buses gain a whole new look down here. Of course, VERY colorful, with ribbons flying everywhere. I'll post some pictures when I get some decent ones.


The taxis, some newer than others, work on a system that reminded me of my days in Washington DC, e.g.; people share taxi rides, in other words, you hop into a taxi and tell the driver you want to go to XYZ place. A few blocks down the road, a person is also flagging a taxi and so your taxi stops and asks where the person is going to. If the direction is the same, this other person hops in too and happy you go onwards. Each person pays US$ 1, really funny.

Parking is not a problem at all and for now, the malls have free parking.

... and yesterday, Panama City got 2 more official drivers, as my new car has arrived, obaaaa! No more rented car!! We are still driving on HK driver's license. Their conversion into Panamanian licenses, is on a to do list.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing buses, remind me of the crazy decorated trucks through India. I am sure you will end up with a whole collection of photos- there is a layout waiting to happen if not a whole album :)
    Wonderful that it is all settling down, car, apartment etc
    Miss you so much

    ReplyDelete