Monday 31 August 2009

Like father like husband

You know what they say... a girl will marry a man who is just like her father... well not sure about my other husbands, but darling Joel does indeed have quite a few similarities to my father and that is good. Of course, I would prefer him to have the ones that exalt my father, rather than the ones my mother and I roll our eyes about... but never the less, funny!!

Yesterday, Joel was leaving town really very early in the morning and ideally he would have gone to the airport by taxi, but keeping track of customs I brought from my cradle, I told him I would take him to the airport with all my love. So, at 4:30 AM (lot's of love, hey?) we left the flat. Joel locked the door while I called for the elevator. As he got into the elevator, he gave me the keys saying something like "let me give them to you now before I forget".

For some lazy reason we only have 1 set of keys for this flat here and every time we think that we ought to make a copy of a second set, we think, "oh well, we are about to leave this place, so let's keep as it is" and we end up never making one.

Anyway, when we got to the car, I realized that my Ipod had stayed back in the flat, so I asked Joel if he could come and get it and then meet me downstairs and he, very sweetly did so.

A while later, there I was arriving at the airport and dropping him off. Many kisses and hugs later, I got the road and happy came back to the city, listening a bit loud, to Mama Mia's film CD. Loving the music, singing it together with them, loving to be driving on a free highway, loving not to have anyone on the highway with me and loving the fact that I was going to be able to go back home and sleep some more!!

As I was driving into our driveway, I see the light of my mobile blinking and I thought, there he is wishing me a good week, oh how sweet of him... I lowered the music and answered the phone in a all romantic voice only to hear: "hi honey, please come back to the airport... I kept the flat's key in my pocket and only realized it when I was going through security".

We have had quite a few of those at home with dad. Once, he got to the counter to check in only to find out he had left tickets, passport, the works, everything at home. On another occasion, way way before September 11, dad was flying out and as always, we all took him to the airport and after sending him off through customs, we walked back to the car. On our walk back to the car, my brother, the designated driver, realized the keys were in dad's pocket who was already inside the plane with doors about to be closed. He so totally rushed upstairs and because things were so much peaceful in this world of ours in those days, he was able to get much closer than he would today. Got hold of someone who also ran to the plane and just as they were closing the door, got in, went straight to dad's chair and said: "Admiral Coelho, I believe you car keys are still in your pocket, no? Your son is outside asking for them".

This photo is not so great, it was very windy, their faces are a bit funny, but here with us in this computer, this is the only one I have of the two of them together.

and that is dad receiving a warm kiss on father's day from one of his gorgeous dogs, an Old English Sheep Dog (hello Maggie)

No comments:

Post a Comment