Saturday 22 August 2009

Handcuffs x Wife

My friends, I am in total shock, I am paralyzed, I am petrified, I still cannot believe that such a beautiful and sexy language like Spanish is, could carry in its dictionaries such a huge inaccuracy and gaffe, not to mention people’s mind!!

This morning, after Joel and I woke up but were still in bed, I turned on the TV to watch some nothing, just to get our daily Spanish exercise going. Before I go any further, let me bring you into the Panamanian TV picture. Here they have many channels with shows ran and produced in Panama, therefore all in Spanish and like everywhere else, we also have cable. The shows through cable channels come in its original language and have Spanish subtitles. These subtitles have been a great source of learning for Joel and I during this "learning Spanish" phase as well as, have been the local channels in Spanish. This way we sometimes hear Spanish and sometimes we read Spanish and it has all been working well.

So, in this morning’s exercise, we learned that the Spanish word for wife and for handcuffs is the SAME, "esposa" for wife and "esposas" for handcuffs and what is worse is that their word for husband is a whole new word, nothing to do with the idea of imprisonment!!

I am in shock... have loads to say should I ever bump into Cervantes!!

1 comment:

  1. love is a pretty powerful thing. it binds you and holds you...just like handcuffs. so that could be one interpretation of why the two are the same....or possibly because only a wife would make her husband wear handcuffs??

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete